Phishing is the attempt to obtain sensitive information such as usernames, passwords and credit card details often for malicious reasons. This is usually by disguising as a trustworthy entity or organisation in an email.
5 things to watch out for:
- Spelling mistakes and punctuation. These will always be accurate if the email is legitimate so if you spot a mistake, likelihood is it’s a scam.
- The email address the email was sent from. If it definitely doesn’t look legitimate, delete it!
- The website address that is linked. If the link looks illegitimate, have a quick search on the internet of the company they’re trying to imitate and see if the addresses’ match.
- What they are asking for. If they are asking for a bank details or personal information, do not give this info away! It is a scam!
- Attachments and Links. Never open an attachment or link if the email looks dodgy in anyway!
For more information on Phishing, please contact us via email or phone at 01329888444.